Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Success

The walking tour is on.  It isn't very far or fast,  about 3km over nearly 2 hours.  James,  our guide,  is well informed and encourages questions.  Good thing as we have a few between the eight followers.
Among other things I learnt that there is water in the Todd River,  it's just underground.  It must be remarkable when it floods filling fast and furious only to disappear again in a couple of days. I'll never think of the Yarra at home as an upside down river after seeing this one.


How do you choose where to eat lunch in a strange town? Head for the busiest cafe of course.  Good decision and surprisingly not too long to wait for the food to arrive.  It is market day in the Mall and just as I say that they are really the same everywhere Rob comments how different it is. Different criteria perhaps.
Before we left Melbourne I knew that I wanted to visit Hermannsburg for two reasons. It is a famous historic Lutheran mission with a long standing art tradition, painting and pottery in particular. It is the potters that I am keen to see.
 Unfortunately my information is wrong and the pottery is closed. It was worth the trip however to see the mission, and the McDonnell Ranges in the late afternoon sun.
Coming into town we follow advice from James to view sunset from the top of Anzac Hill overlooking the town.


No comments: