Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2016

THE ROCK

For all those with scary predictions of how cold it can get at Ayers Rock at sundown and overnight - not this time. The coldest temp overnight was 12°C. Hot days of course.
It is great just to be here, and we happily join the masses driving to and fro between the resort and the national park seeing everything we can in the short time we have. First night in we are on the tour I mentioned in an earlier post to see the art installation Field of Lights which is literally  a field of globes on stems laid out in a field with Uluru in the background. The only way to see it is we think at dusk to watch the lights  come on. As that's what we did I can only presume I'm right. It was beautiful.
Mornings we got up at 5.30 or earlier to make it out to see the dawn. First day was great, second day of to the sunset viewing area to see dawn with fewer people. Sadly also less sun, more cloud. Both days my camera seemed to fail to record any shots. I'm prepared to take responsibility for the first morning add I fiddled with options and settings on the fly. But twice? I don't think so.  Then I tried the cats in another device.. Damaged. Damn and blast.  Will try and salvage it when I get a minute.
Uluru and Kata Tjuta (Ayers Rock and the Olgas) are just as extraordinary as they seem.  It doesn't matter how many times you've seen them depicted, to be there is breathtaking. The size of the single rock is beyond anything.  Walking around the base it is surprisingly cool and shady, one is always led to believe that the rock rises straight out of the red dust. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of red dust but it is a real treat to walk along the trees when you expect full sun.
Update.. I have now salvaged my photos as best I can. They are here and I did a heap of editing before I posted too many I think. 



No comments: