Search This Blog

Monday, May 11, 2015

LAST DAY IN BUDAPEST

Cycling along the Danube appealed to me so today I hired a bike and rode out to Szentendre (St Andrew) about 25Km away.  I picked a windy day but made good time outbound.  Bike is a steel frame women's tourer with 700x40 tyres on it. Heavier than I am used to, but fine to ride.

 I hope you can read the name of this coffee stop, just in case it is too small it is THIS IS MELBOURNE TOO.  Quick u-turn of course, and I don't know who was more excited, me to see the words piccolo latte or them to find out I came from Melbourne.  The coffee was good, they gave me the cake gratis and we all had a good time talking.

The ride went on and I only took one wrong turn, ending up in a very suburban shopping area surrounded by rows of blocks of flats.  Got myself back on track riding through a much more expensive area, then swampy forest and a dirt track and onto St Andrew or Szentendre. 
This is a popular destination full of tourist shops and restaurants but I had a very good pork shaslick with grilled vegetables cooked in the middle of the street washed down with the obligatory beer.

I have seen some odd things by the path as I ride around over the years but this missile or whatever it is takes the cake. The photo was taken as discreetly as I could as I thought the guard in the watch tower might object to me stopping and getting out my camera.  Bottom right corner.

Coming home thought I would take the direct route along the river, and spent a bit of time just following other riders who were more used to the path. When one woman turned right away from the river I should have followed as I then rode into a crowded area of cafes, bars, etc on the waterfront.  That, coupled with a strong cross wind, made me very late getting in. Just time for a quick shower and a cab to the premium wine tasting.

Six small glasses and three small scones later the four of us headed into town to yet another delicious dinner in a restaurant of our former leader, David's, choosing. Good choice, heavenly slow cooked lamb shoulder on potato pancakes.  Walk back to the hotel, farewell to J and L, and that's it for Budapest. Off on the bus tomorrow.  One last glimpse of underground Budapest though as we saw these guys on the way to dinner.

No comments: