Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

ATLANTA

My first impression on arrival towards midnight is that it is every bit as humid as I expected.  I don't like humidity but am prepared to put to with it. Fortunately my accom runs a shuttle to and from the airport which means that while I'm here I get a lift to the nearest train station each morning.
Breakfast is brief and I head to town.  I get off at the hub of the four local train lines and emerge to an empty street and a closed visitors' centre. This is not a good omen. Downloading an app of self guided walks should help but the app proves more trouble than its worth.
I head to the Martin Luther King history district and enjoy just walking around reading historic notes and stories on boards in the streets. 
The Falcons are playing at home, perhaps that explains it or the fact that it is 9/11. I have found a market that online looks good and lively but today a lot is closed.  Still a good burger to be had.
In a whim I head into Oakland cemetery just in time to join a tour. Very interesting and a history lesson to boot.  I cannot resist a beer in Six Feet Under over the road and set up at the bar among the football fans. Then two young men, Evelyn and Taylor, arrive. Take had had a fair bit to drink, Evelyn had just meet him s couple of blocks away.  Poor Taylor had just been dumped by his girlfriend of 2-3 months coinciding with being evicted from the last bar. He feels betrayed by her loyalty to her friend who was with them and whom T doesn't like so made a few disparaging remarks about.  But after three months she should have taken his side..... Evelyn and I murmur something suitable and move on to the Violent Femmes whom they are going to see that night. Taylor, impressed that I have seen them before, wants to buy me a ticket but I tactfully decline.
Another market on the walk back to town, this time lively and with delicious aromas.  So revived by good middle eastern food I drift home via the airport.
I have only two days here so pack up, get moving, check my baggage into the airport before breakfast and head to the visitor centre surprised that the train is so empty at what I thought would be peak hour.  This time the visitor centre is open but completely empty of patrons and staff. Just as I am about to leave armed with a map a woman arrives and confirms my plans.  The Capitol building and Margaret Mitchell's house. 
I have started carrying my keep (coffee) cup with me as a means of getting what may be considered an extra small coffee at 8oz.  En route to MM's place I pass, or rather don't pass but enter, an organic grocery with coffee and food.  The coffee was very good. I don't like to sound obsessed but I am pleased when it works out well. When I don't think it will I just have tea.
I had another look inside the bike box last night and it looks all right. I know you are not as anxious as I am that it arrives safely but I am sure you want to know that it does. Another day, another flight or two... Atlanta to Washington DC via Charlotte.  Wheeeeee

No comments: