Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2016

WASHINGTON AND VIRGINIA

Got on the plane, made a bit of a fool of myself as I immediately thought the announcement said the flight was to Dallas, then realised that while I keep thinking I am going to Washington I need to remember that I am flying into Dulles airport. Idiot.
It was a geat delight to be met by Lauren and stay with her friend, Robin - and her husband, Noah.  We are in Herndon, Virginia in a spacious green looking town but up close it is pretty dry. And hot, and humid.  My feet look forward to cooler weather and wearing my shoew without losing skin. That is not quite as bad as it sounds.
A very comfortable sleep and tacklenthe bike reassembly.  Takes a while but it does all go back together and survived pretty damned well. I will however need a small tin of touch up paint on my return.  Lauren very kindly drives me out to pick up the hard case I have ordered tontransport the bike in the future. First lunch, then a drive via the beautiful Great Falls (on the Maryland side). They look great too, though the water is low. It has not rained here for a month and tomorrow record high temperatures may be achieved.
With a warning like that air conditioned tourism is the order of the day.  Getting to the Metro train we park and traverse a large shopping mall. As we drive along Lauren points out purpose built areas of office blocks which form townships that later have residential areas developed around them. The highways are alive with traffic in all directions. The Smithsonian is really a misnomer as it is a vast collection housed in a variety of buildings which used to all fit along the mall but have spread out from there.  The latest is a Museum of African-American History that opens in a few days. We attend then enjoy lunch in the Museum of Native American History.  The food is a  far cry from the usual museum cafe fare.
Walking back to a couple of other spots we pass the White House, confirming that it is indeed smaller then one might expect. Never mind that we are moved back from the fence line temporarily with the rest of the hoy polloy - we have the opportunity to be excited by seeing god knows who driven in. I suppose it could have been one of the girls coming home from school, or someone else very important. We will never know for sure.
Back to the shops and I buy a pair of trousers as the only pair I brought with me are falling apart already. Damn.
Dinner, home, another good night's sleep.
Up today, a little more slowly than planned, but we take the bikes with us this time riding to the station and head towards the Memorials. Lincoln - tick, Vietnam Veterans - tick, Jefferson - tick, others - tick.  It is very impressive and on a wonderfully grand scale.  It is also much better weather for cycling. Leeisa, who is riding with us over the next few days has arrived in town and rides out to join us.  We gradually make our way to Union Station to catch our train to Pittsburgh but not bevore I have a look at the National Postal Museum which is in a beautiful building, a former post office, right next door.  Get something for dinner later, trek the miles it always seems to be to get to the actual train, load the bikes and settle back with the footrest up.
One thing about settling back on a train is that they don't go anywhere very fast.  I don't know if the length of the trains on curves slows them, if the times are worked out to accommodate multiple trains or something entirely different but it is a bit like being the tortoise racing the hare, portrayed by a car perhaps. It is not unenjoyable just a little frustrating when you are due at your destination in the middle of the night and wouldn't mind getting there earlier.  As I  type that the train speeds up hut we've been warned that there is somethingvamiss slowing it down so we'll be late. Sadly thst sums up my train travelling experience here.

No comments: