Search This Blog

Friday, May 26, 2017

Riding on a train

Indeed,  I am riding on a train towards Lauren in Norfolk after two delightful nights in Nottingham with Lawrence and Lyn whom I met on the ride from Lands End to John o Groats two years ago.  They will also be doing the ride through France, as will another couple,  Murray and Sue, so it will be a reunion of sorts.
The weather holds fair and warm so I have enjoyed a walk around Nottingham, a beer in England's oldest pub cut into the rock below the castle, tea and cheese toast at at a fishing lake as part of yet another good days riding,  dinner at the local pub,  dinner at home and a walk to the local village centre for coffee before getting on the train.  A highlight was a visit to Woollaton Hall, a beautiful house in magnificent grounds which extended green in all directions, but the real delight was the natural history museum inside the house,  it was so unexpected.
Whoever reserved the seat next to me didn't show up so I had plenty of room for a nap.  Lyn kindly supplied me with a sandwich and a lunch treat and away I go to Norwich via Ely where the train changed direction. At Norwich it's all change for Diss then a short ride to Manor Farm.
I love train travel,  so relaxing and interesting.  In this instance once again the countryside is green and lovely thanks to the rain a couple of weeks ago after a long long dry spell.
And then I changed trains, or I would have if there hadn't been trouble with the level crossings and my train cancelled. Got the next one and though the announcements were all about the delay we would experience there was none. I love train travel.
I rode from Diss station,  all of three miles to Manor Farm where I am to join Lauren and the family for a few days. It is late afternoon on a sunny day and there are quiet country lanes to ride on.  Brilliant.

No comments: