Search This Blog

Sunday, May 21, 2017

War, what is it good for ..absolutely nothing.

Sunshine at last, glorious sunshine.  Back on the bike following the signs of CS7 (Cycle Superhighway 7) out to Clapham Common for brunch and to catch up with Sallyann, whom I have not seen for a couple of decades  not that we are counting them.  Enjoyed a walk with Sally round the local area, then before heading home  a ride round the common. On the way in I managed to follow the signs and do a circle somewhere, astnished that I had arrived at the same point as a few minutes earlier. God knows how that happened, and I managed to avoid doing it twice. 
Sometimes under these circumstances I keep an eye out for other people who seem to know where they are going and follow them for a bit. It has led to some interesting places but this time it worked in my favour, as I started to recognise streets and headed in the right direction. At one stage I saw an arrow to a cinema museum but found that the museum was closed, indeed it did not seem to have any regular opening hours so I  won't be back.
The Imperial War Museum is an imposing building set in wonderful gardens a visit recommended to me by a couple of people.  Inside is a wonderful space several floors high around a large atrium. I started in chronological order with the First World War, and that took ages as it was a fascinating display and collection. There is a gallery at the top housing a large private collection of VC (Victoria Cross) and other medals with stories about the people to whom they've been awarded. Finally I visited the Holocaust section which, as one would expect, is very graphic and very moving about the plight of the victims and the survivors. A comprehensive section through which all move in a sombre mood.
Before heading off I had a cup of tea in the cafe, deciding that what I had seen was enough for one day. A return visit is on my list.

No comments: