Search This Blog

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Seeing the sights

The weather over the last few days has not been conducive to riding everywhere sadly. I spent a day walking around, which is no hardship in London, I love doing just that.  I spent a day on the bike seeing out on a sunny morning only to return in the afternoon in the rain, taking notes that I should not leave how without a raincoat.  Walking again the next day and it didn't rain until I was in sight of home.  It's like being in Melbourne and the temperatures are about the same.  A better weekend is forecast.
I got to the Tate Modern (gallery) quite late in the day as in my meanderings I came across an extensive photographic exhibition in a wonderful dockside building that had not been tarted up and the exhibition was spread through multiple rooms on several floors.  I will have to go back to the Tate to see more there.
On my cycling day I managed to navigate my way through some hideous traffic diversions around Parliament Square but for the most part was on bicycle paths or signed roads. Cycling in London was a bit hairier than cycling through Melbourne and that was due only in part to being on unfamiliar roads. It was quite a relief to get to my destination at Kensington Palace via Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens.  The white garden I had come to see was in the throes of replanting but still worth a quick look. Afternoon tea served with chipped china less so. The staff seemed totally uninterested when I quietly pointed it out.  Black mark. And that is when the rain started - staying until I got home.
A quick change of clothes and off to a book launch with Anna and Ian at the Freemasons Hall. Wow, what a building. We went in via the main entrance to get directions to the launch, greeted by the sight of many men exiting the building, all I think in a black suit from the same tailor. The launch itself was held in the foyer entrance to the Temple which we were allowed to see.  So much for a secret society.
One of the delights of walking is coming across something unexpected and changing one's plans on the run. That is how I came to spend an hour or so in the Bank of England Museum. I had not found that on my internet searches. The public are not allowed, you will be surprised to hear, into the enormous gold vaults. Indeed the public are not really allowed into the bank, save for a small counter where old banknotes taken out of circulation can be exchanged for new ones at face value.
Lunch from a van at the Old Spitalfields Market, delicious duck wrap,  then onto the Geffrye Museum which describes itself as a Museum of The Home.  Sadly the gin event that evening is sold out but the room displays are interesting and the upholstery exhibition also of interest. Several artists have contributed pieces, some a little more straightforward than others. There is a burnt armchair suspended from the ceiling in front of a video of said chair on fire so that may give you an idea of the scope of the exhibition. 

No comments: