Search This Blog

Friday, June 16, 2017

La Vigeant to Brantome

Turn left out the hotel gate and go straight up that hill...what a heart starter. The forecast is another very warm day and the briefing indicates some hills coming up.  In fact, the day is pretty well all hills, not too steep but a couple of short sharp shocks and of course some good descents.
We will be passing the turn off to a meteorite crater today. I do mean passing as it would mean adding just a few kilometres over the daily total. I have already added a few Km by missing the morning coffee stop and in spite of already being at the top of the hill out of town I turn back to join my pals, have cofee and strawberry tart. I found out later that some others were refused the tart, perhaps I looked more deserving.
Back to the crater, though it is very wide it is just about completely eroded now I hear, so I settle for seeing the rock used in local construction.  When the meteorite hit it completely changed the rock surrounding the crater so it is a unique and therefore quite distinctive rock which somewhat resembles lava I saw in Oregon a couple of yeara back.
Arriving at the top of the hill for the second time, I am again struck by the spectacular panorama of farming scenery to the left including what I always think of as an Australian windmill. I know they are used elsewhere but it is from rural Australia that I know and love them.
Onwards, ever onwards... to Brantome. Built on an island the oldest part of town is delightful to walk through which we do on our way to dinner. It is a convenient way to check out the riverside restaurants and decide which of those open (it's Monday and several are not) is worthy of our custom. The preferred one seems reluctant to let us onto the terrace but as we three are willing to sit in the back corner we are welcomed at last. Fortunately for us very few patrons require the convenience at our backs and so we enjoy a delicious meal, cool and comfortable and with a lovely view.
Team photo
Just another chateau

No comments: