Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Vallon Pont dArc to Chateauneuf-du-Pape

Took a long time to get here, but it is a beautiful place, and last nightnwe dined al fresco which is becoming a delightful habit. The weather continues unseasonably hot, though I  expect that it is actually the new seasonal weather and we will all have to admit it soon.
The third day with a substantial hill, this one at the start of the day up up and through the outstanding Gorges d'Ardeche.  Photographs don't always do justice to the realmthing, but I'll put one or two in.  At the top the ride along the ridge before the amazing descent is spectacular. 
Down we go to greet the Rhone, and our first sighting of the famous Mont Ventou.  Our ride over then next couple of days allow time for those so inclined to ride the Mont but I  am not so inclined in the heat.  In fact I  cut mynride short today, i think it is the cumulative effect of the last couple of days catching up and so I  get a lift into our destination. It is only 15, but the prospect of riding in no shade even that short way fills me with dread. All I want is a shower and a lie down.
Sadly for my host at the hotel I am not thrilled to discover that we have been given a king bed in lieu of twin beds,  and less thrilled when he seems to think that it isn't a problem that they have no twin room left.  It is not his suggestion but mine that the two beds forming the King be separated and they start again. In the end I state just bring us two sheets and we will sort it. Not an auspicious start. I sit by the pool and sleep instead.  The delicious meal served al fresco somewhat makes up for it and the delicious red at dinner. And the good breakfast also al fresco ... but his superior attitude still rankles a bit. It will in due course fade into the blur of good times.



The arc that gives Vallon Pont d'Arc its name
Gorgeous gorges
The Rhone

No comments: