Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2015

LEJOG D18

One of the funniest things about yesterday was at lunchtime hearing from a friend asking if I would recommend the ride. Great day to ask. I refrained from screaming no, it is a terrible mistake, don't do it. .. I wouldn't have meant that for more than five minutes anyway.

IT is amazing what a good night's sleep and a better forecast can do for everyone. We were all ready on time to set out on another day's adventure.All the remaining days are less than 60m/100km and have no very steep hills. Today is expected to be a cruisy day.

My goal, along with some others is to take advantage of this and fit in a bit of sightseeing along the way.  Unfortunately Lauren had to get off her bike at morning tea so I am steaming along alone.
Quick lunch at the Dulsie bridge picnic site and off, leaving the midges behind.


 First stop Castle Cawdor, of Macbeth fame.  I decided to go into the castle and have to admit to being a little disappointed.  Cawdor looks wonderful from the  outside but is in a way quite ordinary inside. The current Lady Cawdor lives there for more than half the year, and we are advised that the rooms we see are all used by her. It is a collection of rooms which seemed to me to be cluttered with family memorabilia and paintings.  Just not my cup of tea I suppose. I didn't have enough time to see the extensive gardens as I have other plans.

I rode off the route a little to see the Clava Cairns that our senior leader, Peter, had recommended. When I got there he was there with 'The Kiwis", Sue and Murray, and I got a bit more information from him on the spot.

Passage cairn
The my final stop, using my National Trust membership to gain entry. The site of the battle at Culloden. Coffee first in their rather excellent cafe, then on to the museum exhibition which gave a very good two sided explanation of the lead up to this battle between the Jacobites and the British government troops. It is an excellent museum with memorabilia and multimedia displays before going out onto the site itself with a self guided audio tour.  It is moving and I highly recommend a visit. I particularly enjoyed walking on the moor site in sunshine as we haven't had as much of that as we would like.
Culloden moor

No comments: