Search This Blog

Monday, June 29, 2015

LEJOG D21 LAST RIDING DAY

Three weeks ago we set out from the other end of the island, on my part with some trepidation. I had never ridden so many touring days with only a single day off. Have I brought the right gear, did I make a mistake only bringing riding sandals not shoes, I should have done a little more hill training, etc etc.  The usual concerns. Yes, I brought the right gear, only bought a heavier rain jacket and a pair of waterproof socks (neither of which I have at home). In hindsight I might have been better with shoes, but on the other hand I wore the waterproof socks on only one freezing cold rainy day and my feet were fine every other day. Frankly, who doesn't think they should have prepared more for hills, distance, putting yourself back on your saddle every day or something ..no point thinking about it, these things work themselves out on the road.

Anne is dancing with delight this morning
Today everyone is ready to go, excited at the prospect of actually arriving at our destination and having attained our goal.  So, give us the navigation and we are off, pretty well straight into the first hill. Sailing along I pause briefly to pick up the £40 I saw drop from another cyclist's pocket, going I can catch up at morning tea so he can buy lunch when the time comes. (I do)
Peter has set up the van where he has heard there might be puffins but they leave in the morning to return in the evening so it is not very likely we'll see any (we don't).  There are a couple of peat cutters going out which is interesting. 


More rolling hills and to our great delight, and contrary to the forecast,  the sun comes out and patches of blue spread around the sky. Lunch in a very good harbourside cafe in Thurso with a great view of the Castle then as the day continues fine and sunny away we go.  The riding today gas been up and down, not as strenuous as other says but up and over headlands to see the next cove.  A very enjoyable ride.






Lauren and I detour slightly  confident that we won't be holding the others up to go and have a look at Castle Mey, home of the late Queen Mother. The entrance to the driveway is a beautiful grove of trees. This is repeated further in and put to good use. 


Then the last few miles into our hotel for the night, where we wait in the bar for everyone to arrive.  We set out together and are going to finish together. Thanks, Skedaddle,  for the sparkling drop at the very end which we manage to down just ahead of some rain. We hear it's good weather down South.


Photo by Richard. tku





No comments: