Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2016

M2C Ride d2

What can I say... another day with BIG climb early in the day.  Not surprisingly I am slow on the hills, I feel not much strength left in the old legs.  The minute there is an incline legs say "nooooo, not again".  Nothing for it but to wind down the gears and settle in for the long haul. The saving grace is riding through more beautiful countryside.  That and the low gears in the hub, thanks again Ewen.

Yesterday we climbed about 3800ft/1160m, today is less - 3500ft/1067m.  Well, that is a relief.  Shortlived though. Sometimes it is good halfway up a hill to just stop and take a photo of whatever is around. Never hurts to take a minute off.

There are 4 rest stops along the way, a highlight this day is the wonderful array of cakes and buscuits the local women have so lovingly made for us.



One steep pinch before the halfway mark and the rest are not too bad. Not quite enough downhill to roll uphill so plenty of work to be done.  Shyt up, kegs.
I have said it before and I will no doubt say it often, this is beautiful country.
We roll into Lexington, bathe, rest briefly and head downtown for dinner. The town has turned on a street concert and the recomnended cafe has opened on their night off just for the cyclists.  Good meal and very helpful staff.  This is very much appreciated by me when I  realise I have left my phone there.  I spoke to a wonderful woman who went to the trouble of asking round the remaining cyclists there where they were staying and found someone who agreed to bring the phone to our hotel. Boy, was I  glad not to go back out. I was amused to respond to the knock on the door and find a man on my phone stating he wanted to speak to their phone sex expert.  A good laugh all round and I  fell into bed and fast asleep. Phew.




No comments: