Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2016

MOUNTAIN TO THE COAST RIDE

OMG what have I let myself in for? I did research thus ride, I've done ither rides with hills and I  knew it started in the Mountains. However, when one is on the bike doing the ride that is a very different thing indeed.
We set out and UP we go, straight up it seems thiugh I know that can't actually be right.Not long after we have a 5mile downhill, advised to take it carefully. Good advice it is very steep. We are riding through misty low cloud, ending in a valley at the small town of Valle Crusis. I went to the Mast General store in Asheville and got a recomnendation to check out the original Mast store which opened in 1881 and has not really changed. I do a quick detour to have a look. The store isn't open and I think that the interior is really the thing to see. Next door to the store are the remains of several shops which were burnt down earlier this year.  A man has been charged in relation to the fatal fire. It is extraordinary to see what is in effect the town's business centre destroyed in one fell swoop.

On up the high steep hill to the rest stop which is at the Blue Ridge Mountain Club. Pretty damned amazing views from up the top. Coming down again we pass some very impressive real estate which all appears to be linked to the BR Mountain Club. There is a lot of money in them thar hills. It is another winding downhill taken carefully.

To be honest all I can recall of the rest of the day is up, up and maybe a little down. I did rnjoy looking round.  We came into Wilkesboro tired and glad that our hotel was before the campsite and oyr luggage has been delivered there for us  (money well spent on that service).
Oh look straight across the car park there is somewhere to eat. Sorry, Wilkesboro, no exploring tonight, just recovery. My back is a little sore so rest required.  Good night.

No comments: