Search This Blog

Saturday, October 22, 2016

NEW YORK NEW YORK

What can I say that hasn't already been said ... wow.  Approaching the skyline it changes constantly and is everything you've heard about it. Spectacular. Getting off my bus ahead of Rob's arrival I  decided to walk the few blocks to his stop carting my luggage, a decision my shoulder came to regret for a couple of days. However, we met up, successfully organised Uber and onto our home for a fortnight. A one room apartment in the Lower East Village.
My first  impression walking around our neighbourhood is that we are in the right place - thank you  Tim Peach, Phil and Anne, Fran and Peter for recommendation and local advice. i think I could happily spend a fortnight just hereabouts.  Food diversity abounds, plenty of bars with happy hour, looking for live music, theatre,  found the laundromat and dinner is great at a local fish bar.  Keep up that standard and we'll be right, mate.

Rob appreciating Strawberry Fields, but is it the right one? 
Sunny Sunday in Central Park, sounds like a song.  There is a well supported fundraising walk in some sections, but the park is of course so big that it hardly matters.  We spend a great deal of the day there,  then walk to Times Square just to see it.  Diwali is being celebrated on the stage there but the crowds do us in and we head off in search of whatever there is to see.  Just being on the street is plenty to see.



A couple of days devoted to Museums, galleries .. I visit the Tenement Museum which is wonderful and The Merchant House which has a death theme for October .. meeting up to thoroughly enjoy The Museum of the City of New York together. MoMA is everything one expects and my reaction to the Guggenheim is mixed. I am sorry I didn't wait for the day of free admission as I don't find the current exhibition very interesting. One cannot help but marvel at the building,  Frank knew his stuff all right.
Having enjoyed twilight cruises elsewhere we add New York to the list.



Exhausted we travel home on the subway we are coming to know and love.  Sleep,  blessed sleep

No comments: