Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2016

M2C Ride d3

A shorter ride today, all of about 2 miles to camp. Lauren and I called in to make sure we could get on the shuttle express the next day which we decided to have as a rest day. I was feeling decidedly blah, so when Chip said that would be fine and that we could if we wanted to get on today's shuttle.  I realised immediately that would be the better course. So we got on board and I promptly fell asleep.  Obviously a good decision.
I realised on arrival the disadvantage of getting to town ahead of my luggage ..  only had cycling shoes. Walked barefoot to downtown snd foud a very stylish pair of slip-ons at the first thrift shop we passed. So chic..


Lauren had researched the best coffee shop and that's where we went. It was not only the best coffee shop in Burlington but the best I  had been to for a month.  Oh joy, oh rapture. Burlington is the quietest town I had been in for a while, only a handful of people on the street. On asking if it was usually so quiet I  kearnt that it picks up towards lunchtime. I wondered if this is the effect of building huge shopping malls on the outskirts. They are soulless and you just about need a car to move from one end to the other (which we did one evening).

Another welcome ... our hotel room was ready so we could check in early. AND Lexington has Uber. I booked a massage as my back still giving me grief, not while I am riding or walking but when I sit for a while or lie down, particularly inconvenient at night. Uber to hotel, Uber to massage, Uber out again. 5 stars all.  How very handy it is.

After the massage I think my back feels better, I do anyway. A restful day getting washing done, dinner and an early night in preparation for rejoining the ride in the morning. Except  for one thing... everyone is starting to talk about Hurricane Matthew which looks almost certain to have an impact on the ride. Lots of talk about when it was cut short last time, and a great deal of speculation about when that call will be made. We can only wait and see.



No comments: