Search This Blog

Saturday, October 22, 2016

NY 2

The weather here continues with record breaking temperatures for October,  good for tourists. It is forecast to end,  but in the meantime. ......
We've done enough galleries for me,  and I leave Rob to The Met. Instead I do a walking tour run by the Tenement Museum,  a tour of buildings in the area which represent the changing population and industries in the Lower East Side.  I also get some advice about eating in the area.  By chance I lunch at a cafe recommended by an Aussie friend  (thank you,  Helen) then saunter back towards our flat.  It is a day to take it easy for me. 

I put the research to good use that night,  encouraging Rob to dine at Katz's deli, an original that's been there forever. As well as being famous in its own right this is also the location for the famed When Harry met Sally "I'll have what she's having." scene.   I have never seen such a big sandwich in all my life.  I cannot eat all the corned beef in my half sandwich so save some for another day,  Rob takes half his Return sandwich away.  Delicious.  As was the ice-cream over the road.  Definitely walking home to recover.
.
Still warm on Thursday,  good day for a walking tour of Brooklyn starting with a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.  Huge crowds walk it, so many that there is talk of putting a dedicated wider path below the existing one. I have to say that seems a good idea,  for one thing it will separate cyclists and pedestrians.  Cyclists here ride as though their lives depended upon getting somewhere fast,  riding through pedestrians at breakneck speed with a complete disregard for red lights, pedestrians' right of way and several other road rules I think.  So far I haven't joined their ranks.

Taking a ferry ride back across the East River we continue our own walking tour through the financial district to Tribeca and the Laughing Man Cafe, owned by Hugh Jackman where Rob has found the best coffee since leaving home.  I cannot comment as I elected not to break my rule about not drinking coffee after mid-afternoon.  I do however plan to put it to the test another day.
Splitting up again,  Rob to the Subway and me to walk home through Soho and Noho doing a bit of window shopping along the way.  I pass m mostly upmarket brands but there are some smaller shops with more local designers etc.  a very pleasant couple of hours dawdling before I do the washing at the nearby laundromat and eat or leftovers from last night. Delicious all over again

No comments: