Search This Blog

Monday, August 11, 2014

NW Loop Day 10 - Water sport

Today I broke my rest day rule and got active. N organized a crew to go white water rafting. Not something I would seek out at home but when in Rome, or Riggins ....



Riggins sits in the valley, a mile deep river valley, so it took a while for the sun to come up giving us some welcome relief from the heat. As did riding the river. Our guide, Conner, is a great guy with some of the worst jokes I've heard for quite some time. He gave a quick spiel about how to paddle and told us that if we paddled he would steer and we'd get through. It worked. Here I am.
Our director explains our roles on the shoot

No pictures of the crew in action as I couldn't take my camera for fear of drowning it so I bought a disposable waterproof camera with FILM in it so will have to wait for next rest day to have them developed. Trust me it was fun.

The river yesterday as we ride in was alive with rafts but this morning we were just about the only ones on the river and it was wonderful. For the inexperienced the rapids were quite enough but we heard about the changes to them as the river rises and falls throughout the year.

Cliffs and holds rising straight up from the river were startling. Conner pointed out mud swallows nests and as we came out of the water we watched a pair of (I think) eagles riding the thermals. A good end to the ride.

The informal pop-up bicycle workshop at the motel was in action again today. It is a very useful exercise as not only do the bikes come out clean but we spend a bit of time comparing notes and accessories, you know the grass just might be greener sort of thing.

A stroll to dinner, time to spend a little time in the motel garden in the breeze and then we get up and do it all again.

No comments: