Search This Blog

Thursday, August 28, 2014

NW Loop Day 27 - river mouth

I shall start at the end today. We embed up in Astoria, where the Columbia River flows to the sea. It is a port town and boasts the longest continuous truss bridge in America. I have not crossed it. I did however ride across the smaller bridge to Warrenton as I had to go to a particular shop on that side. It was a windy ride, head wind out so tail wind back - it's not a ride I'd like to do too often. (I didn't take the photo either).
Earlier in the day we rode through a tunnel which had a button for cyclists to push as they entered. This turned on flashing lights and warned motorists that cyclists are in the tunnel and the speed limit is reduced accordingly. I was about halfway when I heard a large truck enter without slowing at all. I got as far over as I could hoping I did not crash into the low wall as there was really nowhere I could go. The noise filled the tunnel completely and I was terrified, truly terrified. The logging truck thundered by, shooting out of the tunnel and headed on up the hill. I don't know if he even saw me with my own lights flashing but he certainly did not care.
It wasn't all bad though as we rode the coast, had great coffee at a place called Insomnia in Cannons Beach, a very appealing seaside resort town and saw some wonderful views of fog, the ocean, trees, and more. We climbed quite a bit too, over 3000feet.


No brew pub today.. Will have to fix that tomorrow. Not many more chances, as only two days remain on the road.

No comments: