Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2014

NW Loop Day 13, Halfway

We are in Halfway, Oregon - crossed the border so Margaritas before dinner again. We are also about halfway through the tour. Aaaaaaaaah I hear us sigh, as it is hard to imagine that we have come so far already. Also that means we are sort of homeward bound. Plenty will happen between now and then, I am sure of it. No more Margaritas planned sadly.
Today was also our first day riding in rain, short lived as it was. At the end of a cool morning with a wonderful descent (the result of a steady climb) several riders stopped at the Gateway Cafe for a caffeine fix and to observe the several stuffed animal heads mounted on the walls. Coffee looked so good that i had tea.
Arriving at the next rest stop we saw dark clouds and heard of an approaching storm later today. Everyone kept moving, through a light drizzle which   were arrived at the next cafe on the route. Some decided to wait it out. I put on my light rain jacket and pressed on going that the jacket would be enough.
I had hardly gone a mile/1.5km when I got too hot to wear it and the rain was easing so back in the bag it went. Fortunately that was the end of the rain and we continued our ride through a low pass to emerge some miles from our destination riding past farms with great views of the hills and mountains behind.

Today was a day for music but unlike other one earphone days I played it on my phone speaker in the pocket of my backpack to enjoy with anyone else wanting to listen as they passed by.  My set list was the soundtrack from the film CHEF, an album from Hurray for the Riffraff and the soundtrack of the TV series JUSTIFIED. I must add to the playlist for another day.


Taking some time to walk around Halfway I found it a very pretty town with friendly, helpful people aplenty.  Off to a bigger town tomorrow, Baker City, hope they're OK as it is a rest day the day after... Hip Hip Hooray

No comments: