Search This Blog

Saturday, August 16, 2014

NW Loop Day 14 - storm day

It's 5am on our rest day and I am listening to the news on Australian radio at 10pm tonight. Getting news from home is easier than in the past thanks to Wi-Fi and the internet but it is good to hear it sometimes.

Yesterday was a tough day, lots of uphill, one great descent, beautiful river valley, one descent marred by headwinds followed by long flat stretch into Baker City which sounds as though it should be (and probably was) in a Western. Later today we will visit the Oregon Train Interpretive Centre. As we rode past yesterday we stopped to look at some original wagon ruts from the 1850s wagon trains.

The trail is crossing the hill by the Lone Pine
The last 10miles/16km was really hard to ride - flat, headwind, storm approaching, tired legs. I stopped to take a couple of photos which might have been my downfall. I got caught in the rain as I came into town, but not just rain. The rain got heavier and then the hail started. I couldn't see in front of me so I took inadequate shelter under a tree.

Then a flash of lightning and I remembered that I shouldn't be inner a tree in a thunderstorm. So as the hail eased I pressed on. I used my rain jacket to protect my camera in my backpack as I was already so wet I thought it wouldn't make any difference.

Just as well as when I arrived at the hotel desk and stood  there dripping I was advised that my room would be ready in a couple of hours. As I was wearing wool I just put my dry rain jacket on over my wet gear and had a delicious taco and beer lunch up the road.
Might have missed the storm if I'd not taken these

When I did get into the hotel room the shower was good indeed and the sun was back outside so off to the laundromat to catch up with washing. Chores done means a truly restful day which I am looking forward to.

No comments: