Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

NW Loop Day 24 - no treats

Got off to a good start, then only a few miles out heard an ominous sound. Sure enough when we stopped L saw the giant nail sticking right out of my rear tyre. No problem, we changed it and headed off again. As the support vehicle passed by I signaled that all was well. We had arranged to meet up in Dallas (not the...) to get a lift through part of the route today along a busy highway.

3 miles to go, rear tyre starts going fffft, fffft a little too regularly. Another flat in the same tyre. Damn and blast. L located the tiny sharp thing in the tyre - nothing to do with the last one.  I couldn't get it out so I tried with my ear ring to gouge it out and when enough was exposed removed it with the only thing handy, my teeth. It worked, but the new spare tube didn't so after patching the first one we put the bike back together only to find it was flat again.  Double damn.
While we waited for the support car to arrive we were fortunate that the hall we stopped at was open and we were able to use the bathroom. The man there, who rides a Cannondale, had just put fresh wax on the hall floor. I told him I thought it a beautiful floor and looked good for dancing and he told me that the hall was just about to fall down about 25 years ago when a local woman bought it and refurbished it. It is now used by various local groups for a while range of things. On Friday nights there is a music session and singalong, people bring mandolins, banjos and fiddles and they have a great time. I laughed at the thought that this was another thing missed by a day or two.
So that was that, rescued by the sag and delivered to the van at the next rest stop. All momentum and enthusiasm was lost and I went straight to the hotel, did washing, had coffee, a quick bite, a glass of wine and dinner before a good night's sleep.
As we drove along I was grateful not to be riding on the highway as the traffic was awful and the road shoulder not great. I was however sorry to miss what was a particularly scenic section of the highway. The state forest section of the highway was pretty good to look at so that was small compensation.
The accommodation was at the beach in Neskowin, a place so small I had trouble finding it on a map. It was wonderful to sit in the sun overlooking the beach instead of sitting in the car park which was in the shade and cooling down fast. There was fog when we arrived, but it burnt off for the evening only to return the next day.

No comments: